Sunday, August 2, 2009

Goals

When it comes to goals, I have spent my years without any real goals. Or at least no long term ones. I have accomplished much, and done little. My accomplishments include, but are not limited to; meeting a beautiful women, got married, climbed mountains, bore the sweetest child (yes I am biased) into this world, found inner peace, lost inner peace, skied and sailed my days away, read a good book or two.

Things I have not done, are many. So many, that I find myself limiting it to the things off the top of my head that I would like to do. Sailing things for instance:
-I would like to have lunch with the late Olin Stephens; his boat Odyssey, a yawl from 1938, now a Sea Scout boat, made me much of the person I am today
-I want to race in no particular order, the Vic to Maui, the Chicago Mack, the Transpac and the Newport Bermuda.
-I would like to steer a high performance ocean racer like a super-maxi with perhaps Russel Coutes and Brad Butterworth giving me pointers (what can I say, I like a good rivalry).
-Sail and share a bottle of wine with Francis Joyon to learn what it really takes to sail by one's self.
-Sail and share some English Porter with Ben Ainslie to really learn the art of one design sailing.
-I would like to actually own my own sailboat, just so that I might take my wife and son sailing with me.
-I'd even be so bold as to say that I would like a job involving boats, designing, sailing, teaching (though I could use some learning first), I'd even take a job assisting a designer, a sailing team, sailing school.

Non-sailing things I would like to do:
-School. I have returned to school, after spending a number of years learning how much I needed a degree. I just wish I could afford to not work while I'm taking classes.
-Learn swordplay, anything but an epee.
-Do enough salsa (club style) to be confident,
-Golf (quiet in the peanut gallery)
-Finally read the second half of Moby Dick.
-Own and run my own business.

I'm sure there are more, but non come to mind at 3 in the morning.

No comments: